Tuesday, June 7, 2011

What they should've said..

I'd like to reinvigorate this blog. But I don't think my invective-laden tirades do anybody any good. I believe this to be the case in the main because the topics are too general and vague. Everyone has their "pie-in-the-sky" ideas about how to make the world better, or more commonly, what is wrong with the world. Thus, I'm launching a new feature that I call "what they should've said".
And for this weeks installment I'm going to give my responses to two people who have been in the news lately.
The first is Anthony Weiner. At his press conference what he should've said is this:


"Yes. I took a lewd picture of myself and sent it to some women. I have cheated on my wife. So what. It has nothing to do with my abilities as a legislator, or my ability to improve the lives of my constituents in my district in New York. I realize that what I have done will hurt my family and my wife, but that is my business and I will have to deal with it. I won't say another word about it. As for my future in politics, that is up to the people of (insert name of his district). They put me here, they know what I have done, and they alone will decide my future, as is the mechanism by which this republic functions. I won't waste anyone's time with false tears and manufactured contrition, written by an overly paid publicist, as have so many of my fellow colleagues. I'm not perfect. I've never claimed to be. And I'm no hypocrite. I have not campaigned for, or championed anything that could resemble social conservatism or religious hegemony that so many on the right of the aisle routinely do. I don't want your vote because you think you can have a beer with me. I don't want your vote because you think I have the same morals and ethics as you. I don't want your vote because we worship the same God. I want your vote because you think I'm good at my job, and that I make the lives of the people I'm sent to Washington to represent, better.
I am sorry if I have disappointed anyone. But my personal life is my own business. I have broken no laws; and i will not step down. I'm a good legislator; and I will continue to be. That is all".

If he would've said that..he'd be talked about forever. He'd look strong as an ox! And he might actually help us escape this awful pattern of getting distracted by the personal lives or our elected officials and pay more attention to the routine shredding of the constitution of which they try with all their might to prevent us from noticing.

No comments: